BANGKOK’S HISTORIC HOTEL & INSTITUTION
LODESTAR AND CYNOSURE OF WHOLESOME, CULTURALLY SENSITIVE
& ECOLOGICALLY AWARE TOURISM
LODESTAR AND CYNOSURE OF WHOLESOME, CULTURALLY SENSITIVE
The Famous lobby/foyer of the Atlanta Hotel in Bangkok
Probably the oldest lobby/foyer in Asia. Photo by regular guest Mr Oliver Spalt
SEX TOURISTS NOT WELCOME
ZERO TOLERANCE OF TROUBLE-MAKERS, ALL ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES INCLUDING POSSESSION OR USE OF ILLICIT DRUGS
FAMILIES ARE VERY WELCOME ONLY IF THE CHILDREN ARE KEPT UNDER CONTROL
THE ATLANTA IS NOT A CHILDREN’S PLAYGROUND: CHILDREN MUST NOT BE ALLOWED TO DISTURB OTHER GUESTS
ANIMAL LOVERS PARTICULARLY WELCOME
THE ATLANTA IS A HEAVEN FOR MANY RESCUED CATS, TERRAPINS AND ONE DOG
The Atlanta is run on conservative principles and fosters traditional values. The Atlanta has little in common with modern hotels, inns and guest houses. The Atlanta caters to respectable families, couples and singles to whom The Atlanta offers a wide choice of rooms.
Atmosphere & Philosophy
The Atlanta is an old-fashioned place of charm and genteel character in downtown Bangkok with the secluded and secure atmosphere of a private club and the facilities of a small resort for sleaze-free, wholesome tourism.
Run on conservative principles and imperiously heedless of intellectual and other fashions and trends, The Atlanta is untouched by pop culture and post-modern primitivism. Its style and atmosphere hark back to gentler and more cultivated times. Those who seek the slick, the ‘modern’ stuff, modern ways and principles of inn-keeping will be disappointed.
The Atlanta is popular with cultured occidentals, with writers, academics, artists, cinema & theatre and other professional people, with dreamers and innocuous eccentrics, and their families, who can afford to stay at more expensive places but choose to stay at The Atlanta. The Atlanta is also popular with veterinarians and with those who are sympathetic to the plight of animals, and with vegetarians as the restaurant at The Atlanta is famous for its Thai vegetarian dishes.
The Atlanta is against sex tourism. Sex tourism is exploitative, socially damaging and culturally demeaning: those who want to go whoring should do so in their own country. With sleazy night life comes crimes and other social ills. The Atlanta distances itself from all that.
The Atlanta has a ‘zero tolerance’ policy with regard to trouble-makers and all illegal activities, including the use or possession of illicit drugs. Such miscreants are reported to the police without advance warning, without hesitation and without apology. Those who object to this policy, and those who wish to spend their time in Thailand whoring, indulging in alcohol abuse, drugs or other illegal activities should stay elsewhere.
The Atlanta also does not welcome undomesticated people – the sort of people who do not know how to sit on a chair or at table, who do not know how to behave, and whose appearance and manners are so disgraceful as to bring disrepute upon their own countrymen. Their presence puts other people off. These undomesticated people should stay home lest the Thais take one look at them and say, “Mother, father no teach”, which is one of the most opprobrious reflections that can be made about a person in the Thai idiom.
The Atlanta welcomes families and our staff are good with children. However, there is a limit. Parents must keep their children under reasonable control so that other guests are not disturbed. The Atlanta is not a children’s playground. Parents who allow their children to scream without restraint, disturb other guests, and generally make a mess of the place will be told to settle their bill and leave immediately.
Tourism is not about going on a rampage through other people’s country:
Excellent and central downtown location
- between two Sky Train Stations (Phloen Chit Station and Nana Station on the Sukhumvit Line) and in walking distance (or two Sky Train stops) to the underground / subway station (Asok Station)
- convenient for a fascinating and iconic 40-minute journey through the city and on the river from The Atlanta to the OLD CITY of BANGKOK:
- the journey takes you by Sky Train through the commercial / shopping district of Bangkok, then along one side of the park, then through the financial district of Bangkok, ending at the river where you take the Chao Praya Express river bus to the Old City of Bangkok where the ancient temples and monuments, and palaces, are situated
- total travel time 40 minutes, more depending on connections, and costs only Bahts 45 (less than one and a half Euros / US dollars; under one British Pound)
- within easy reach of the expressway connecting the various parts of Bangkok
- within easy reach of both airports (by taxi to and from Don Mueang Airport, 30-60 minutes; by taxi to and from Suvarnabhumi Airport, 45-80 minutes)
within easy reach of all bus and train entry and exit points of the city
within easy reach of most embassies and consulates – within walking distance to the embassies / consulates of the Czech Republic, Italy, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Spain, Sweden, the Swiss Confederation, the United Kingdom, the United States, and Vietnam; and within easy taxi distance to the embassies / consulates of Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Germay, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Norway, Portugal, and Singapore.
within easy reach (in the opposite lane) of the famous Bamrungrad International Hospital, which most diplomats, tourists and expats use for medical care
A Budget Hotel for Lovers of Good Food – serving room guests only (no outsiders)
Le patron mange ici
The Atlanta offers:
- a unique and famous annotated menu which provides encyclopaedic information about Thai food and Thai table manners
- an acclaimed breakfast menu
- a family-oriented western lunch and dinner menu
- a revival of the kind and style of western cooking that took place in The Atlanta’s kitchen in the 1950s and 1960s
- excellent Thai food
- the largest selection of Thai VEGETARIAN dishes in the world (or perhaps it was at one time)
- an informative menu of Thai wines
- LOWEST MENU PRICES in this part of Bangkok – guaranteed!
- a restaurant that is also a LOUNGE where you can relax comfortably without having to order anything!
The Atlanta’s restaurant and premises are for the use and enjoyment of ROOM GUESTS ONLY.
OUTSIDERS are not normally served unless they are known to The Atlanta.
The Atlanta aims to further environmentally responsible tourism by:
reducing The Atlanta’s own carbon footprint through:
the use of locally made materials and appliances with environmentally friendly certification
the use of energy-saving light bulbs throughout
fan-cooled public areas
- The Atlanta seeks to help you reduce your carbon footprint during your stay through:
- use of local produce and ingredients in the kitchen whenever possible
- use of environmentally friendly detergents
- enzyme waste-water treatment that meets the standard set by the Thai government